Friday, August 1, 2008

7,000+

I'm a bit obsessed with the Holocaust right now.
I've been re-reading things I read when I was younger that thought I understood and now realize how much I missed and did not have a foundation to be able to understand.
Tonight I watched Schindler's List and then wept.

What I love about this website is that fact that it takes forever to scroll down to the bottom of the 1200 names.

http://auschwitz.dk/Schindlerslist.htm

In the end, life and how we live it matters.

Oscar Schindler: I could've got more ... I could've got more, if I'd just ... I could've got more ...
Itzhak Stern: Oscar, there are eleven hundred people who are alive because of you. Look at them.
Schindler: If I'd made more money ... I threw away so much money, you have no idea. If I'd just ...
Stern: There will be generations because of what you did.
Schindler: I didn't do enough.
Stern: You did so much.
Schindler: This car. Goeth would've bought this car. Why did I keep the car? Ten people, right there. Ten people, ten more people ... This pin, two people. This is gold. Two more people. He would've given me two for it. At least one. He would've given me one. One more. One more person. A person, Stern. For this. I could've gotten one more person and I didn't. I didn`t ....."

So the movie ends as the survivors are placing a rock on Schindler's grave in Jerusalem. Today there are 7,000+ Schindler Jews as a living legacy.

No comments: