Sunday, July 6, 2008

Amsterdam!

I'm in Amsterdam right now eating breakfast at a cafe by the canal and getting ready to meet up with the team in about a half hour. I'm really ready for them to be here and for this mission's part of the trip to begin.
This cafe is about 2 feet away from the Anne Frank House and I can't wait to see it. I've been reading The Diary of Anne Frank again since I read it first in junior high. The book has taken on a whole new perspective for me. I'm almost finished with it. All that remains from the war now are statues and monuments, etc. It's hard to fathom that kind of genocide taking place and destroying so many lives in this country.
Yesterday, I walked by a school in Amsterdam. It was cool to see it and just think about life in a different city.

So, I was pleased to have figured out finding my way around the city so quickly yesterday because, as usual, I packed a lot into the schedule.
I started with the Rijks Museum and have a new appreciation for the Dutch culture/ history. I didn't realize how much this city represented wealth and prestige. I loved the Rembrandt pieces and the museum is truly a gemstone.
I then tried to fit in Van Gogh. I saw half of the museum before it closed, so now I'll have to go back. Wow! I was in love with that one. The audio guide was so informative and seeing his pieces up close is unreal. You've seen them in books your whole life, but to be able to see the brush strokes, paint colors and the framed piece up close is no comparison. It's truly amazing the talents that the Lord gives to each of us and our unique perspectives about life.

Last night I just circled around the city a bit riding different trams and it's truly an interesting place. There are a lot of canals running throughout the city and the all of the buildings are those cute row homes (that's what I call them). They're all different colors of brick and all have different roof-lines which is what makes them so cute. Many people here actually live on houseboats in the canals.

Gonna close for right now.
I wish everyone a Happy 4th Holiday weekend!

No comments: