Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Haarlem and the North Sea

On Friday, I went to Haarlem in the Netherlands. It's about 15 minutes outside of Amsterdam and about 10 minutes from the North Sea. It took me 3 hrs. to go from Brussels to Amsterdam and only cost 32,00 Euro.
Unfortunately, I missed visiting Corrie ten Boom's house, but I did walk by it and I enjoyed touring around the city. It's a cute city and it was good to experience more of the Netherlands than just Amsterdam.
The North Sea was nice. The beach is very wide like it is in Florida. The ocean is a grayish black and it's not as beautiful here. The water was absolutely frigid. There aren't a lot of rocks or different shells. The beach was littered with the small, dime-sized clam shells.
The beautiful part were the dunes leading up to the sea. It looks a lot like Ludington, MI to me, except it's almost entirely covered with beach grasses, so you don't see any "bare" sand dunes. There are miles and miles of the dunes leading up to the beach and there are bike trails throughout.
It was fun to see & I took a siesta on the beach while I was there.

No comments: